What's Shakin Bacon?

Hi, my name is Jordan Bond. I am a student at Ohio University majoring in Video Productions. Some of my favorite films are "Natural Born Killers", "Fargo", "The Dark Knight" and "American History X."

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Songs and Covers


Ever seen the trailer for the movie, The Social Network? It was from the trailer that I was introduced to the song, Creep. The first time I heard this song it was performed by Scala & Kolancy Brothers. Later I found out that what I thought was an original from them, was actually a cover of Radiohead’s song, Creep.  As I began to listen to the original version, I noticed a few similarities as well as differences. The differences I noticed in the songs were their timbre and speed, whereas the similarities I observed were they had the same lyrics and intensity.





The obvious differences I detected were timbre and tempo. Timbre for the original song Creep by Radiohead included two guitars, drums, an overdrive guitar, and a solo vocal that sang the song. The drums and overdrive guitar gave the song the intensity that it needed. Though the solo vocal did increase the intensity, the overall outcome would not have been as effective if the overdrive guitar and drums did not play along. The timbre for the cover of Creep played by Scala & Kolancy Brothers is piano and a choir. The piano plays a simple harmony in the background while the choir takes on the melody. The timbre for the original piece had more variety, while the cover’s timbre was limited. Speed is the other difference that I noticed in the pieces. Radiohead performed Creep in a moderato speed; which fits the style of the song, alternative rock. In majority of rock songs, the tempo is not very fast like hip hop music. However, the tempo of speed in the cover performed by Scala & Kolancy Brothers, the style is choir music and therefore the tempo is slower than Radiohead, giving it an allegro tempo.





Similarities that I noticed between Radiohead and Scala & Kolancy were the lyrics and intensity.  Creep, still had the same lyrics in both the original and cover. Intensity is another similarity that the songs had. As stated previously, the timbre helped increase the intensity for Radiohead’s song, yet, the same intensity is provided by Scala & Kolancy Brothers by the piano and choir projecting their voices louder and playing the piano more forcefully. Then before and after the climax of the songs, the intensity for both is very soft. Radiohead achieved this by the solo voice and little to no drums and guitar, whereas, Scala & Kolancy Brothers achieved the intensity through piano and choir loudness.
            The song that I prefer to listen to the most would have to be the cover, by Scala & Kolancy Brothers. Being an avid fan and listener of orchestral, classical and choir music styles, it is no surprise that I chose the cover. Though Radiohead did originally come up with the melody and lyrics, both of which I like about the song, Scala & Kolancy Brothers did something that was unconventional. More and more songs sound either like synthesizer or auto tune, not that I am purposing that Radiohead used such techniques, I still think that Radioheads version is more common sounding. Scala & Kolancy Brothers covered the song and made it “theirs”. They made the song have a different tone, meaning and feel to it, at least for me. When I listen to Radiohead’s version, I think it’s a cool rock song and when I listen to Scala & Kolancy Brothers version I think I just is extremely unconventional and beautiful sounding.

1 comment: